If you are scratching your head over how to set up Orbi with Xfinity or whether you can use Orbi with Xfinity or not, we are here to guide you.
Xfinity is a broadband internet service that provides cable and internet options. This internet service comes with its own router that you can use.
However, getting Orbi is a good idea if you already have an Xfinity setup.
It eliminates the need for having extra devices in your home and also offers a great solution to Xfinity Internet tend to have.
Fortunately, you can use your own router, including the Orbi router, with Xfinity without any issues.
Orbi routers are flexible and can work well with Xfinity and many other internet services. So, how do you set it up?
Table of Contents
- How Do I Connect Orbi to Xfinity?
- How to Set Up Xfinity Router to Bridge Mode
- How to Set Up Orbi WiFi System Using Orbi App
- Open the App and Create an Account
- Scan the QR Code
- Activate the Cable Service
- Confirm Your Information
- Power on Your Orbi Satellite
- Set up and personalize your new WiFi network
- How to Setup the Orbi as an Access Point
- How to Connect Orbi to Starlink
- How fast is Xfinity Internet
- Final Verdict
How Do I Connect Orbi to Xfinity?
The first thing is to set your Xfinity gateway device to bridge mode. We will show you how to set the infinity router to bridge mode first.
We then guide you through setting up a WiFi connection using the app and configuring Orbi as an access point.
How to Set Up Xfinity Router to Bridge Mode
By default, Xfinity routers operate as a modem-router combo for a reliable WiFi network.
However, it will be more convenient if you configure the settings by changing the setup to bridge mode.
This will enable you to set up another device to function as a router and have Xfinity as a modem.
To set up the router to bridge mode, follow these steps:
- Connect the Xfinity router and the Orbi using an Ethernet cable.
- Connect a device to Xfinity network and on its web browser URL search bar, type https://10.0.0.1
- The search will direct you to the Xfinity portal. Here, you can log in with your credentials, including password and username. You will enter your unique password in the password section and admin in the username section.
- Once you successfully log in, navigate to the setting, and on the menu, click on “Gateway” and then select the “At a Glance” option.
- Select “Enable” which is just next to the bridge mode.
- A popup message will appear on the screen asking you to confirm you are activating bridge mode. You will confirm this by clicking on “OK” and immediately the wireless gateway will start confirming your changes.
- Once the confirmation is successful, you can now use your Orbi router in place of the Xfinity gateway router functionality.
- The “Logout” option is on the top right corner of the page.
How to Set Up Orbi WiFi System Using Orbi App
The best way to connect the Orbi to Xfinity is by setting up the Orbi in access point (AP) mode, then connecting it to the Xfinity router which you have already changed in bridge mode.
We’ll guide you on how to set up Orbi as an access point but first, let’s see how you can set up Orbi with Xfinity through the app.
Open the App and Create an Account
Download the app from the Apple Store or Google play store on your smartphone then launch it. Sign in or create an account if you don’t have one.
Scan the QR Code
Select the new system set up then scan the QR code on your Orbi router.
Note, the step may slightly differ from here if you are setting up an Orbi system without a built-in cable modem. Simply follow the instructions offered.
Activate the Cable Service
Set up and activate your cable service for your Orbi network. Simply connect your broadband coaxial cable to your Orbi gateway.
Plug in the power adapter and ensure your Orbi is powered on. Give it a few minutes to fully boot up and the indicators to light solid blue.
Once connected to the WiFi, return to the app.
Confirm Your Information
On the app, select your internet service provider which in this case is Xfinity. You will be asked to verify your account information.
Once you offer the required information, and your service provider completes the activation, click “Next”.
Power on Your Orbi Satellite
At this point, reconnect your phone to the Orbi WiFi. Place and plug in your Orbi satellite and give them a few minutes to fully boot up.
Once you power them on, the satellite will show solid blue lights if there is a strong connection to the router.
If they show a different light, usually amber, move them close to the Orbi router. Once the connection is stable, return to the app to continue.
Set up and personalize your new WiFi network
You use admin logins to securely log in to your router and make some changes or updates.
If you change the WiFi name and password, you will have to connect to the new WiFi network with those settings to complete the setup.
Once completed, you are all done.
How to Setup the Orbi as an Access Point
Ensure you don’t interfere with the connection between Orbi and Xfinity router then proceed as follows:
- Detach the Ethernet cable from the computer, then plug it into the Orbi Ethernet port
- Launch a web browser on the device you have connected to the Orbi network.
- Type in orbilogin.com in the URL search bar, which will direct you to the portal where you can log in.
- Fill in your credentials like the one we have mentioned above. That is the “admin” on the username section and the “password” on the password section. You can use the same password you created during the Bridge Mode setup.
- Once you get into the BASIC Home Page, click on “Advance” in the setting menu then “Advanced Setup” followed by “Router/AP Mode”. On the displayed “Router/AP” you can change Orbi to an access point.
- Activate the settings by clicking on the AP Mode radio button so that you will be able to adjust the page.
- From here, you can now get your IP address when Orbi is in AP mode, which you can get in two ways: using a fixed address or getting it from the Xfinity router.
How to Connect Orbi to Starlink
You can connect the Orbi router to Starlink as well. You can do this by bypassing the Starlink router and using your own, which is the Orbi router in this case. To do this:
- Turn on the Starlink bypass mode which will disable the WiFi and the routing functions of the Starlink router enabling you to use your own router.
- You will need a Starlink Ethernet adapter, which you can get at the Starlink shop for around $25.
- Disconnect the Starlink cable from the Starlink router then plug the Starlink Ethernet adapter on that spot and Starlink cable into the Ethernet adapter port.
- Plug one end of an Ethernet cable into the Starlink Ethernet adapter and the other end into the Ethernet port of the Orbi router.
- Set up your Orbi router using the instructions provided.
A man plugging an Ethernet cable into a router
How fast is Xfinity Internet
Xfinity is one of the fastest internet providers with a speed of up to 3,000 Mbps. However, their plans offer something for everyone.
If all you need is cheaper home internet just for browsing or checking emails, you can get a package that offers as low as 75 Mbps.
Orbi routers can work with almost any internet provider router and its compatibility with Xfinity routers is excellent.
All you need to do is balance network settings with Xfinity as the modem and Orbi as an access point.
The access point works best when you have a modem router combo ( like in the case of Xfinity) that connects.
You can then easily set up your Orbi with Xfinity network via the Orbi app as discussed.